Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The WRONG place at the WRONG Time



Saturday night was a humbling experience.  I had spent the morning shopping with my sister Brenda I was trying to finish up some Christmas shopping.   Then I spent the afternoon with Dan's side of the family at a Baby shower for his cousin Mia.  Dan's sister Kathryn was even there, her husband Jeff  had a bone marrow transplant Monday (yesterday.)  Things went well with him.   After the shower I went into Nephi to ride horses with Dan and the boys.  They were roping.   When I got there my sister Brenda who is 5 months pregnant was on my horse.  I panicked a little because the horse has not been rode in 2 months because she had surgery.  She can be a little frisky when she hasn't been rode.    She rode her to the door  where I had just came in.   I climbed on and walked her 3 or 4 steps out of the way.   Zeak had just headed a steer and was having trouble turning it off.    Everyone yelled at him to let go so  he did.   Usually the steer would run up the arena.   When I turned around to see what was happening I saw the steer coming at me and I new I was in trouble.  It hit my horse in the behind and she started bucking.  I had a good hold since I had a split second to prepare but the hold wasn't good enough.  After 5 jumps she slowed down and I thought I had her rode.  (really I got a little cocky thinking I had rode her and she has bucked Dan off  before)   She took one more jump and I landed none to graceful.   I laid there for quite a while trying to catch my breath.  Dan and Don Berezay ran right to me and finally help me up and out of the center of the arena.  I finally agreed to go to the hospital.  I walked about 15 steps to Brenda's car.   Dr Besendorfer was pretty sure I was just bruised good he said I didn't show signs of anything broken.  I wasn't in enough pain.  We took x-rays just to be safe.   They left me in the x-ray room for quite a while the first 3 were easy the last x-ray was extremely painful.   When the Dr and nurses came in the x-ray room (not normal) he said I had broke my pelvis in 2 places.  It was down low so when he was checking my he wouldn't have caught that.   He wanted to hospitalize me but I saw no reason for that.  He told me if I could walk on crutches without putting any weight on my left leg I could go.   Within 15 min I had drugs to get me through the weekend, discharge instructions and was on my way home.   I went back to the arena to drop Dan off and the Worthy priesthood holders down their helped give me a blessing.  The shot they gave me in the hospital was awesome and I really didn't feel to bad until about 4:00 am sunday morning.  I wanted another shot.  I almost passed out trying to get up.   Once the pain medicine started working I was ok.   Later that morning I decided I needed a shower since I was still covered in arena dirt.   That wasn't such a great idea.  I passed out and Dan had a hard time getting me into my room and to wake up.  I really scared him he didn't leave my side for the rest of the day.   Today I am feeling better.  I just have to wait another 5-7 days before I can put any weight on my left leg.     I feel very lucky that it is only my pelvis and not more serious.  And I am most grateful that it was me and not my sister Brenda.  Zeak and Dan are taking it pretty  hard Zeak thinks it was his fault I keep telling them life just happens sometimes.  It was no ones fault just something that happened.  Kaci is really confused she was asleep and didn't see it.  She told me that I shouldn't ride Dazy anymore that I could rider her horse Tuffy his was good and never bucks then I wont get hurt again.   :)  

2 comments:

Snell Family Rocks said...

Lisa, I am sorry to hear you got bucked off. That is no fun... take it from a pro it hurts!!! Especially when it happens 3 times in one day. What is it with your wild mustangs?

"Snell"

Jense Family said...

That suck girl. You are number 3 of my friends that have gotten hurt from a horse in the past couple weeks. The other two ended up in the hospital with several broken bones as well (back, pelvis, ribs, etc.). Sara is going to be calling you. This just convinces her that her theory of horses being evil is true. Hang in there. I wish we were closer so I could come visit ya.