Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

I Love the Holidays.  Thanksgiving sets the tone for the rest of the year.   To me it means taking a day to spend with Family, working together to create a meal for all to enjoy.   I love they history behind it and the traditions that have been established.   One of my favorite traditions came from my grandma Miller.  She always had cranberry juice and sprite mixed.  I know this seems silly and when I asked her how the tradition started she said that it replaced the red wine that  they use to drink.    Now Thanksgiving and Christmas are not complete without this to drink.  I think that with every family reminiscing is another favorite part of the holidays.

Apple Pie, homemade cream pie, pumpkin pie and pumpkin roll are the favorite Desserts.  Dusty is the pie maker at our house.   Mom always makes the pumpkin roll.
Dan is usually in trouble no matter where we go for sneaking a bite of whatever isn't being guarded at the time.  It isn't just at his mom's house.  He was getting in trouble for eating turkey before the prayer.
The other thing I Love about tradition at our house is it is definitely different then most families.  We all work together.  The boys are out cooking the turkey and lamb (yuck) in the dutch oven.   My dad is a cook my mom is the baker they make a great team.   This year the boys including Dan even helped clean up.   There was no rushing away to a football game.   In fact I couldn't resist the chance to take a picture of my sisters playing on the computers and my dad and brother cooking.   Although we all did our part to help out this year.   Thank you mom and dad for teaching us the value of working together so that we can play together.
They did take time out of the day to go cut Christmas Trees.   I usually love this and take pictures.  It wasn't in the cards for me to go this year and even though I attempted sending the camera it didn't work out.   Dan loves this tradition from my family.  When you grow up in a family where your dad is a Forest Ranger it just isn't right to not have a real fresh Christmas tree.   We do have an advantage in that Dad can scope out some good trees before hand.   Jake even got a little tree for his room this year.   He loves Christmas and decorating the tree. So look forward to seeing the trees in a few days. Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  I am very blessed and am grateful for all I have especially my family.    I am going to quit blogging and go have the best part of Thanksgiving a leftover Turkey Sandwich.

No comments: