Thursday, March 15, 2012

My Pot of Gold


Today I received a txt from a friend that had a list of all the things she was thankful for.   Then Kaci brought home a punch of Lucky St Patrick's Day things.   Suddenly I knew I had to blog about my favorite Holiday.   St Paterick's Day.  So what is this silly holiday and why do I love it so much.   Funny that I love it and don't even know or maybe remember its meaning and history.

Saint Patrick's Day] is a cultural and religious holiday celebrated on 17 March. It commemorates Saint Patrick (c. AD 387–461), the most commonly recognized of the patron saints of Ireland, and the arrival of Christianity in Ireland. It is observed by the Catholic Church, the Anglican Communion (especially the Church of Ireland), the Eastern Orthodox Church and Lutheran Church. Saint Patrick's Day was made an official feast day in the early seventeenth century, and has gradually become a celebration of Irish culture in general.

The day is generally characterized by the attendance of church services, wearing of green attire and the lifting of Lenten restrictions on eating, and drinking alcohol, which is often proscribed during the rest of the season.

The last part strikes me as funny church services but then we lift all rules after the service?  Kinda crazy but I guess tradition is tradition and its ok because we went to church first?

  So why Shamrocks and the color green.  According to legend, Saint Patrick used the shamrock, a three-leaved plant, to explain the Holy Trinity to the pre-Christian Irish people.  So what is Holy Trinity it is the belief of God being three divine persons, God, The Son, and the Holy Spirit.   They just have a different view on God being all three. 

Not far off what I believe.   Just that I believe they are separate personages.   I believe the Father and the Son are two personages with their own body and spirits.  We believe in the Holy Ghost.  

First Article of Faith.
 We abelieve in bGod, the Eternal Father, and in His cSon, Jesus Christ, and in the dHoly Ghost.

Originally, the color associated with Saint Patrick was blue. Over the years the colour green and its association with Saint Patrick's day grew.[13] Green ribbons and shamrocks were worn in celebration of St Patrick's Day as early as the 17th century.[14] Saint Patrick is said to have used the shamrock, a three-leaved plant, to explain the Holy Trinity to the pagan Irish, and the wearing and display of shamrocks and shamrock-inspired designs have become a ubiquitous feature of the day.[15][16] In the 1798 rebellion, to make a political statement, Irish soldiers wore full green uniforms on 17 March in hopes of catching public attention.[13] The phrase "the wearing of the green", meaning to wear a shamrock on one's clothing, derives from a song of the same name.


Today even though most people int he United States observe St Patrick's Day it is not an official holiday.   In the US it is not typically observed with church services rather lots of food and alcohol.  

Now that you have had my history lesson for the day I guess I should explain my love of the Holiday.   I was born on March 16th for the longest time I wished I would have been born on St Patrick's Day.   I really have no idea why other than, maybe in my simple childlike mind that would have made me more special to have my birthday on such a unique holiday.    My wonderful mom must have sensed my lack of self worth and confidence because at the age of 12 she made a big deal of my birthday being the day before St Patrick's day and gave me my very own shamrock plant.   From that year on she gave me something green to let me know how special and important I was.   So for that reason alone I have developed a love of this holiday.   Now 36 years later I have come to learn how special I am.   First,  I am a daughter of a King a Heavenly Father who loves me and wants what is best for me.    Second,  I am a daughter of earthy parents who love me and have taught me what is right.   Third, I am a Wife to an imperfect most wonderful Husband in the world.   Fourth, I am a Mother to three amazing children who teach and love me every day.   Fifth,  I am a Friend to so many amazing people.    The list could go on and on today.   My heart is very full and I am so very blessed.   Because of this in a few days I will not go searching for a pot of gold.    As you can see my pot is already pretty full of GOLD!   


1 comment:

Marie Says Yes said...

Happy, happy birthday! May the luck o' the Irish find you! Love, Marie