Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Admiration

Me, Shellie Memmott, Vanessa Durbin, Grandma Janice, Ange Durbin



Hilary Weeks and Me

 March first I was invited to attend a house concert.   Have you ever heard of them?   Me neither so don't feel bad.   Lucky for me Natashia Dansie not only heard of a house concerts but had a strong desire to hold one.   So I was invited to go.   Natashia knows I am a Time Out For Women fan and Hilary is one of the presenters.    I have a great love and inspiration for this women for lots of reasons but the biggest reason is she has been given a gift and she consecrates that gift to the Lord.   She writes and sings music that uplifts the soul and makes you want to be a better person and push through our trials.    Then instead of hiding that gift and talent under a bushel she shares it with the world.   She shares her testimony of  Christ through her music.   On my way over to Nephi that night it was snowing and the car was quiet.   I took the 15 min drive to ponder and review my life.   This year I have made many life changing steps for the better.   One thing that I have not changed but have become aware of is the negativity surrounding me.   Some I create myself and then some is just generated from the people and circumstances around me.    I had determined that somehow I would change that.   As we shared the evening Hilary encouraged anyone to share their testimony or thoughts and feelings with us.  A gentlemen that was there with his wife.   (No doubt earning brownie points)  Commented on a study he had heard about negative thoughts. 
Parents can purposefully make a change in their speech habits,
according to Mimi Doe, author of 10 Principles for Spiritual
Parenting. 'If you use negative words - catch yourself. Count how many
times you say don't to your children. One study estimates that the
average child hears the word no or don't over 148,000 times while
growing up, compared with just a few thousand yes messages,' she says.

Doe adds that negative words can push the spirit out of any situation.
'Of course we need to use firm words at times and alert our child to
emergencies and dangers, but the habitual no's begin to eat away at a
child's spirit. Moms (and dads) should say yes as much as possible,
without compromising your limits. We often snap a no out of habit,'
she says."
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=516517 
Here is a link with some very insightful and alarming information.  That we talked about for a few minutes.    After the concert which was so amazing I bought a clicker.   Hilary had done an experiment to see just how many negative thoughts she had a day.   By the end of the week she was emotionally and physically drained with no other logical reason she decided that is was because she had focused on the negative instead of the positive.   So the next week she focused on the positive.    By doing this  she was able to run further than normal and accomplish more than normal.
http://hilaryweeks.com/blog/?category_name=power-of-thoughts
You can read her blog for the details.  I was not going to buy a clicker that was a silly waste of money in my opinion.   Then I started talking with Grandma Janice and we decided that was exactly what we needed to do.   Buy the clicker so we could become more aware of the positive things around us.   So we all went home with our clickers and a resolve to do better and be better.   The more I have thought about this the more I know it is true and something very powerful that affects not only us but those around us especially our children.   So I am going to be a more positive person.   I am going to say yes more to my children in hopes that they will have confidence and the self esteem to become who our Heavenly Father wants them to become.

http://www.billionclicks.org/

Here is the link to Hilary Website on a billion clicks it is awesome


No comments: