Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Mona's Got Talent



Today was the talent show at Mona Elementary.     I know the teachers have been wondering about the value of such an activity.   They have been crazy with testing and science fair.  Not to mention their everyday curriculum.   So to add in a talent show seems such a waste of limited time.   I'm not even a teacher and yesterday when I was helping in the classrooms I thought wow this is just to much.   Today I had a different perspective on the whole thing.   I watched in amazement as these children with confidence (some more than others) got up on stage in front of their peers and performed their talent.   From the bottom photo you can see a large number of brave kids.   You should know this is only half of them this is only grades K-3   The pmK, 4-6 were in the afternoon and they had just as many kids.    I thought of myself and when I was young.   I remember singing in church and primary.   I remember singing in a Stake Primary meeting once.  Now I am the ward choirmaster and you can't hear me sing.    I don't stand up with much confidence.   So why is this that most adults hide our talents and loose confidence?   Why don't we want to share our gifts with those around us?   I'm  not sure of the answer and I am going to ponder this and fix it.   So if anyone has any feedback for me please share.   In the mean time I will be a proud mom of Kaci and Jake.   Kaci made up her own roller blade routine to Love Story.   Included in her routine were one foot glides, swizzles, and fishies.   Jake sang to Love Story, our Karaoke version wouldn't work so he got to sing with Taylor he did a great job.   Next year we will have to convince his dad to accompany him on the guitar.     My favorite part was watching the older kids cheer and lift each other up.   What a fun inspiring day.

No comments: