Monday, April 12, 2010

Workin' Man




Some days I struggle with the workin' man I am married to. Growing up my dad would come home cook us dinner help us with our horses and then sit in front of the TV for an hour or two before going to bed. It is interesting that you just assume the way you grew up is the same as everyone else. It is hard to adjust your expectations when you have only one experience to form those expectations. Even though my dad was a hard worker and a great provider for our family I really had know idea what hard working was. Dan to a fault is always working. He gets up in the morning works all day and then comes home and keeps on working. Today is a perfect example of this. He got home about 5:00 pm only to drive back into Nephi so he could pick up Mike's bobcat. He then proceded to extend our garden spot, tear out the freezer that didn't work last year and level the driveway. Eearlier that morning I had mowed our front lawn and fertilized all of the lawns, flowerbeds and raspberries. I wanted to get it done before the storm moved in that night. Dan got a jump on the storm but didn't beat it so at the end him and Zeak just joined it. Most men and women would have called it quits and went in the nice warm house but not my workin' man. He is getting so he involves our children in his after work projects. It amazes and frustrates me that they enjoy working for him more than for me. When I grabbed the camera to take photos (which he is getting more comfortable with) he said, "when you get frustrated with me not working inside you go look at theses photos. It isn't that I am not working I am just not doing what you want me to do." He has me there! So as I was reading my scriptures that last two mornings I had a thought come to me and the more I think about it the more I realize that I am married to a great man. As I read about Nephi and we all know what a great man he was I see similar characteristics in my workin' man. He is not idle, he loves his family, he trust in the Lord, he obeys the Lord, he doesn't murmur
(even when I think he is justified), and he goes and does. If something is broke he fixes it. If someone says it can be done he figures out a way to do it. I have much to learn from this workin' man and I hope that my children our learning from his example. I am so blessed that this workin' man in MINE!

No comments: