Thursday, April 22, 2010

Healthy???



So I am on a quest to be Organized and Healthy by Christmas. I am slowly ever so slowly doing both. On Saturday I went to a bread making class with Jessica, her family, and Susan. Not sure I was impressed at all but always willing to try a new recipe. My first attempt was pizza that worked great and Dan loved it. My second attempt was bread for Sunday dinner, it failed miserably. The taste was good but the texture was all wrong. Dan kept encouraging me because the concept is to save money by making your own bread that is healthier for you. So I made spinach feta bread on Tuesday night and we all loved it. I used the wheat instead of bread flower. So last night my family wanted pizza again. Knowing that this is not the healthiest dinner to eat I agreed. I was brave and went way out of the norm on this one. I used the wheat recipe to start with. Jake hates pizza so I always make him bread sticks, this time I chopped up some fresh spinach and put under the cheese. I made my own pizza sauce. (The can from the grocery store is not healthy for you.) My pizza sauce. . . stewed Tomatoes, 2 cups fresh spinach, green pepper, onion, garlic, and Italianseason put it all in the blender and tada you have fresh pizza sauce. YUMMY!!! Then I loaded our pizza with veggies and meats including spinach and added 1/2 the normal cheese. I was worried wondering if my family would even try it. Now that you are all wondering. . . Yes, they ate it and loved it. They said, "they like white crust better but they will eat it with wheat. If you are reading this and think she has gone nuts your right we are eating lots of nuts at our house as well. I am not loosing any weight do to my attempts at eating healthy and exercising but I feel better and so I will keep trying.

2 comments:

suzy said...

I need to be brave as well and try to make meals more healthy. Great job!

Sara said...

That sounds good! We love spinach. But, I'm also lazy so I probably won't try this anytime soon, but I am proud of you.