Saturday, December 26, 2009

Charity

I was reading a friends blog before I fell asleep and was so sad for her. She was blogging about her Christmas traditions and Love of the Holidays. She intended on posting traditions and celebrating throughout the holidays. She had someone post an anonymous comment that hurt her feelings bad. I'm sure the person reading her post was offended because she hadn't posted any of their traditions but what that person didn't realize is that my friend would continue to post and she would get to them. As a consequence my friend was crushed and chose to stop blogging her traditions. Therefore all of us missed out and so did she. As my heart broke for her I reflected on circumstances in my own life. How often do we take offense when no offense was meant? How often do we become irritated and short of patients which leads to much contention? We are all guilty of this! I know that this is Satan's greatest and happiest moment to cause turmoil and contention in families.

This is our little family Christmas Eve. And even though I would love to think that we were going to be happy and trouble free always I know this isn't possible. So I just hope we are strong enough to work things out and live by this council from Brother Ashton. It is something that I have learned a lot from, found great comfort in, and read often. If and when I ever get so that I truly am a Charitable person I know I will be the happiest person ever. It is easier said then done and something I will constanly have to work on.

Real charity is not something you give away; it is something that you acquire and make a part of yourself. And when the virtue of charity becomes implanted in your heart, you are never the same again. It makes the thought of being a basher repulsive.

Perhaps the greatest charity comes when we are kind to each other, when we don’t judge or categorize someone else, when we simply give each other the benefit of the doubt or remain quiet. Charity is accepting someone’s differences, weaknesses, and shortcomings; having patience with someone who has let us down; or resisting the impulse to become offended when someone doesn’t handle something the way we might have hoped. Charity is refusing to take advantage of another’s weakness and being willing to forgive someone who has hurt us. Charity is expecting the best of each other.

Marvin J Ashton


May we all strive to be more Charitable in 2010. Here is to a new year of Memories, growth, heartache, friendships, family, and most of all Love.


No comments: