Sunday, June 20, 2010

One more baby


So we just can't have two many babies at our house. Sunday night we got a phone call asking us if we were interested in saving a baby buffalo. Sure what harm could a 3 day old buffalo do to our farm??? Shane Day in Nephi raises buffalo and had a mama that wasn't able to feed her baby. He heard we had a farm and were feeding baby calves. Not calves but we were feeding baby cats and there is a huge difference. So we decided how hard could it be. Monday night Shane brought the baby out to our farm. We had got a bag of colostrum from Don Berezay to start feeding him. WOW they are WiLd animals for sure. That night I learned a lot about life and wild life. He was 3 days old and had very little to sustain him but he already had natural instincts to protect himself from the enemy. It took him 3 days to figure out that we were not the enemy we were dinner. If his tail is up he is MaD so watch out. He will not think twice about killing you. Tuesday Dan, Zeak, and Tel left early for work. Jake, Wes, and Kaci were at grandma's house. So that left me and the farm. I tried feeding the little tike and decided that if he would rather kill me than eat he could starve. I did check on him throughout the day. One time I found him in the horses coral with the horse pinned in the corner. Then he climbed in the horses water tank all 4 feet and his head under water trying to get out. I felt bad and helped him out of the tank only to have him come at me. By the time Dan and the boys got home he was tired and hungry which made him a little more cooperative. Seven days later he is staying in his own pen thanks to the boards surrounding him. He is drinking a bottle both morning and night. Jake and him are becoming best of pals. This is not to my advantage so I have made a deal with Jake he can feed the buffalo for two months and then we give him back to Shane. Next spring we will be getting show lambs.

No comments: